HP-UX Shell ProgrammingStayAhead Training
HP-UX Shell Programming
All available course dates
This Hewlett Packard HP-UX Posix Shell Programming training course is designed to give delegates practical experience in developing and writing HP-UX shell scripts. Most of the built-in shell commands are introduced together with the main program control structures. This course is not suitable for C shell programmers.
The delegate will learn and acquire skills as follows:
- Writing simple scripts to enhance basic command output
- Using the various shell quoting mechanisms appropriately
- Manipulating shell variables and user-defined variables in scripts
- Implementing conditional execution facilities
- Using the shell's built-in loop constructs where appropriate
- Writing scripts to trap user interrupts
- User defined Functions
- Developing menu-driven shell scripts
Programmers, administrators and support personnel who need to understand existing shell scripts, automate procedures and write their own utilities.
The course assumes knowledge of the HP-UX Operating System to the level covered in the HP-UX Introduction course. Some programming experience may also prove advantageous.
To provide the skills needed to develop and customise shell programs.
The HP-UX Shell Programming course assumes knowledge of the HP-UX Operating System to the level covered in the HP-UX Introduction course. Some programming experience may also prove advantageous.
- HP-UX Introduction
- HP-UX System Administration
- Oracle SQL
- HP-UX Advanced Shell Programming Tools
- Course technical content is subject to change without notice.
- Course content is structured as sessions, this does not strictly map to course timings. Concepts, content and practicals often span sessions.
Course Contents - DAY 1
- Administration and course materials
- Course structure and agenda
- Delegate and trainer introductions
Session 1: HP-UX COMMAND REVIEW
- Basic Unix commands
- General commands
- File and directory handling commands
- Filename generation and regular expression characters
- I/O Redirection features
- Other commands
Session 2: GETTING STARTED
- What is a shell script?
- Development guidelines
- Creating and editing shell scripts
- Naming and storing shell scripts
- Executing shell scripts
- Exercise: Write a simple shell script
Session 3: USING VARIABLES
- Environment variables
- Local variables
- Assigning values to variables
- Assessing variable values
- Using quotes
- Delimiting variable names
- Echo control sequences
- Exercise: Add variables to a script
Session 4: INTEGER ARITHMETIC
- Using the expr command
- Using the (( )) notation
- Exercise: Add integer arithmetic to a shell script
Session 5: HANDLING RUN TIME DATA
- The read command
- Command line arguments
- Exercise: Writing a generic shell script
- Exercise: Writing an interactive shell script
Session 6: CONDITIONAL EXECUTION
- The if statement
- The test command
- Exercise: Adding validation to previous scripts
Session 7: ADDITIONAL KORN, BASH & POSIX SYNTAX
- Other test notations
- Default and substitute variables
- Exit status codes
Course Contents - DAY 2
Session 8: LOOP CONSTRUCTS
- The while loop
- The until loop
- The for loop
- The while true and until false loops
- Loop control commands
- Exercise: Enhancing the previously written scripts
- Exercise: Writing a script to copy files using a 'for' loop
- Exercise: Writing a script to generate numbers with the 'while' loop
Session 9: MULTI-BRANCH DECISIONS
- The case statement
- Menu driven applications
- Exercise: Developing and writing a menu system
Session 10: FUNCTIONS
- What is a function?
- Exercise: Add a function to a script
Session 11: INTERRUPT HANDLING
- Interrupt signals
- Trapping interrupts
- Exercise: Adding traps to the menu script
Session 12: ADDITIONAL FEATURES AND FACILITIES
- The exec commands
- The includes notation
- More about loops
- Here Documents
- Exercise: Create a here script
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Live Virtual Training with our live Course Instructor is offered for all our courses. Take the course from the comfort of your office, home or any location of your choice, nationally and internationally. Public schedule and Closed Company courses. Flexibility...