Animal Grooming - CPD Accredited
If you want to work with dogs and have a strong empathy with animals, then maybe a career in grooming beckons. Or perhaps you’d like to understand how to groom your own dog. Practical and informative, this Animal Grooming course covers everything you need to know; from a history of dog grooming to today’s popular styles, and what to do when accidents happen.
Dog grooming has come a long way since the 1st century BC when dogs were sheared like sheep. It wasn’t until the 18th century Paris that the idea of clipping for fashion, rather than function, came into being. But with International Open Academy you have the latest clips for reference, and will never be lost for style, whether your client is a Poodle or a Samoyed.
When setting up a grooming business the course helps you:
- Decide what equipment to buy
- Learn how to safely restrain animals
- Keep yourself safe
- Keep you clients safe
- Maintain good hygiene practises
- Understand the correct way to shampoo and bathe dogs
- Clip claws without tears
- Know the traditional clips for different dog breeds
Enroll today and unleash your inner groomer!
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course will be of great interest to animal lovers and professionals in the pet care industry who would like to better understand the grooming of dogs, how to properly care for the dogs in your care, and to any learner who is interested in dog grooming as a future career.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
A pdf certificate is already included.
You can also get a hardcopy ICOES certificate for a small fee to cover printing and posting.
Training Course Content
When working closely with dogs you are responsible for their well-being whilst in your care. Find out how to:
- Respond to health emergencies such as a stroke, seizure, or heart attack
- What to do when a pet needs first aid
- Assemble a first aid kit
- Recognize common skin conditions
- Identify parasites
- Check for healthy teeth and gums
- Spot ear and eye infections
- Understand dental care
Module 1: Where Did Grooming Begin?
- History and evolution of dog grooming
- Origins of dog grooming
- A profession of the future
- Bark the loudest!
Module 2: Be Prepared!
- Safe set up procedures
- Safety for you and your staff
- Safety restraints
- Pet safety
Module 3: First Aid
- How to approach an injured or ill dog
- Artificial respiration
- Heart massage
- Heat stroke
- Stress from shock
Module 4: The Most Common Disorders
Module 5: Working Tools
- Large items
- Cutting equipment and scissors
- Brushes and combs
- Hygiene and disinfection
Module 6: Psychology And Bathing
- The dog groomers approach to dogs
- Advice for clients on preparing dogs for grooming
- Aggressive dogs
- Why wash?
- Before you start
- Important little places
- Dive in!
Module 7: Anatomy & Types Of Coat
- Types of coat
- Table of grooming levels
- Bathing dogs with long hair
- Bathing dogs with curly hair
- Bathing dogs with short hair
- Bathing Nordic dogs
Module 8: Standard Styles
- Yorkshire terrier
- White west highland terrier
- English cocker spaniel
- Shih Tzu
- French Bulldog
- Samoyed husky
- Mongrel / mutt / mixed breed
The cost of this course is £299 £19 + VAT per participant.
PDF Certificate already Included in price.
Get Inspired! Watch the Video
IOA courses are created by an expert team of professional online educators with a depth of experience across a variety of industries. Get hands-on knowledge and insider tips on new skills or careers that interest you most. With over 600,000...